#5 open
Ed Ruder

Should seed the search string from TextMate's search string

Reported by Ed Ruder | November 24th, 2008 @ 02:09 PM

  • In TextMate, select a word and type command-E ("Use Selection for Find")
  • Type command-shift-A to run ack-bundle, search pattern starts out empty

ack-bundle's search pattern should start with TextMate's find pattern.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Trevor Squires

    Trevor Squires November 27th, 2008 @ 06:30 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “open”

    Very odd - it works for me (never had this complaint before either), I use it all the time.

    I've coded the dialog to be seeded with the contents of the 'find' pasteboard plus the last 10 searches. Ticket #7 mentions that your search list is always empty so I'm thinking this is related somehow to preferences.

    My first question is this: have you done any alterations to the bundle? As in, this is behavior you see in my version of ack-in-project (not a fork) and you haven't modified it in any way right?

    From the command line, type this:

    
    defaults read com.macromates.TextMate ackHistory
    

    It should be a base64 encoded string. If it's empty then I'm going to guess that there's something up with your version of ruby. If it's not empty then this will require a bit more digging...

    Let me know what you find.

  • Trevor Squires

    Trevor Squires November 27th, 2008 @ 06:37 PM

    • Assigned user set to “Trevor Squires”
  • Ed Ruder

    Ed Ruder December 4th, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

    No, I haven't modified the bundle at all.

    When I type,

    
    defaults read com.macromates.TextMate ackHistory
    

    on the command line, I get:

    
    The domain/default pair of (com.macromates.TextMate, ackHistory) does not exist
    

    I'm pretty sure that my version of Ruby is OK--I'm a Ruby/Rails developer, using TextMate's Ruby & Rails support every day.

    I wonder whether the problem I'm having with awk-tmbundle is related at all to a problem I started to encounter a while ago and haven't figured out the cause: many, but not all, of the applications that I own that have a "check for updates" feature consistently fail when they try to apply the updates that they download. (Path Finder is one notable exception--I think they're doing their own self-updating and they've figured out how to avoid whatever problem I'm having. I'm guessing that OS X itself provides support for this feature and the stock mechanism isn't working on my Mac for some reason and Path Finder doesn't use the stock mechanism.)

    The error message that these apps consistently report is related to file/directory permissions--something they do in the process of updating themselves fails because they don't have adequate permissions. This, despite the self-updating process having flown a dialog requiring an administrator (me) to authenticate.

    Does this give you any clues?

  • Trevor Squires

    Trevor Squires December 8th, 2008 @ 01:16 PM

    Hrm...

    well, complaints about permissions are certainly a clue. Does it complain when you do this?

    
    defaults write com.macromates.TextMate ackTestingPrefs -bool yes
    # if that works, make sure the output of the next command is '1'
    defaults read com.macromates.TextMate ackTestingPrefs
    

    If it complains about permissions then there's nothing the ack-in-project bundle can do because the OS is denying you the ability to write to your preferences file. Your best bet in that case would be to hop onto freenode irc in the #macosx channel and see if anyone can help you diagnose your permissions problems.

    Trev

  • Ed Ruder

    Ed Ruder December 11th, 2008 @ 03:30 PM

    Hmm. Here are my results:

    
    [trunk]$ defaults write com.macromates.TextMate ackTestingPrefs -bool yes
    [trunk]$ defaults read com.macromates.TextMate ackTestingPrefs
    1
    [trunk]$ 
    

    It looks like permissions aren't getting in the way of these commands from the command line. Is this accurately mimicking how the tmbundle is using those commands?

    Ed

  • Ed Ruder

    Ed Ruder February 4th, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

    Problem resolved!

    Self-inflicted--it was related to the problem I started having a few months ago (some apps' self-update feature stopped working). The problem is that I had created a /Users/ed_ruder/.MacOSX/environment.plist file, to get some command-line tools to work well with TextMate, and I was setting the PATH to a bad value. It was good enough to work with TextMate, but it didn't include all of the directories that those apps (and ack-tmbundle) needed--most notably, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, and the like!

    Sorry to have wasted your time.

    Ed

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

Ack Textmate Bundle

People watching this ticket

Pages